And you make me start to believe again :,)
- This discourse (v1-v37) was revealed in AH9, when Hadrat Abu Bakr had left for Makkah as leader of the pilgrims to the Kaabah. Therefore the Companions said to the Holy Prophet, ‘Sir, send it to Abu Bakr so that he may proclaim it on the occasion of Haj’
- This declaration of the abrogation of the treaties with the mushriks was made in the accordance with the law enjoined in viii:58 regarding the treacherous people, for it is treachery from the Islamic point of view to wage war against any people with whom a treaty of peace had been made, without openly declaring that the treaty had been terminated.
- The respite of four month from the tenth of Zil-Haj to the tenth of RabiuthThani; was granted to give time to the mushriks so that they should consider their position carefully and decide whether to make preparation for war or to emigrate from the country or to accept Islam
- Hajj-i-akbar refers to the 10th of Zil-Hijjah and is also know ans Yaum-un-Nahr. This has been explained by the Holy Prophet in an authentic Tradition. On the 10th of Zil-Hajjah, during the last Haj of the Holy Prophet, he asked and people answered ‘It’s the day of the Sacrifice’.
- And Muslims should remain pious under all circumstances ‘for Allah loves the pious people’ only.
The series of events that have been discussed in this Surah took place after the peace of treaty of Hudaibiyah. By that time, one third of Arabiya had come under the sway of Islam which had established itself as a powerful, well-organized and civilized Islamic state. This Treaty afforded further opportunities to Islam to spread its influence in the comparatively peaceful atmosphere created by it.
To be continued ^^
- This means, you should always keep in readiness the necessary military equipment and an organized standing army so that you may be able to take military action immediately without the least delay, should the enemy attack you suddenly
- That is, your relations with other nations should be based on your trust in God for ‘He is sufficient for you’. Therefore you should boldly face the enemy both in war and in peace. When the enemy desires to have a talk with you for peace, you should be willing and negotiate
- This refers to the blessing of Islam which led to the unions of the hearts of the different Arab clans and integrated them into a strong community, although before this they had been permanent enmities between them for centuries.
- Here the word understanding has been used for the same sense as morale is used nowadays. Understanding is a better scientific term than morale - the moral and mental condition which enables person to keep up courage and enthusiasm.
- This reduction of the ratio of the power of a Muslim to that of a non-Muslim from ten to one, to two to one does not mean that this was due to sane deterioration in the morale of the Muslims.
Events that led to the Battle of Badr
During the first decade or so of the Prophethood at Makkah, the message had proved its firmness, and stability. This was the result of two things. First, the Messenger, who possessed the highest quality of character, was performing his mission with wisdom, foresight and magnanimity. Secondly, the Massage was so charming that it attracted everyone.
But in spite of the above mention strength, the movement still lacked certain things to lead it to victory - First, it had not yet been fully proved that it had gathered round it a sufficient numbers of such followers who not only believed in its truth, but also had such an intense devotion to its principles that they were ready to spend all their energies to achieve success.
Interested with the rest of the timeline? Visit http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/8/index.html
Love - Sheril